If you’ve ever planned a large event, you know it requires a lot of coordination. There are hundreds of details that need to come together in a certain order, and each element impacts the overall guest experience. Of course, this isn’t an article about planning parties, but it will help you deliver an exceptional customer experience. Workflow automation is more than just a tool for process efficiencies–it’s a solution that can transform your business operations.
We want to start by making a distinction here between workflow automation and business process automation. Business process automation is a type of workflow automation that refers to the way businesses structure operational processes to best serve customers, increase efficiencies, and meet business goals.
For example, a business process might include inputting data, performing necessary calculations, creating measurable outputs, and providing forecasting based on those data calculations.
By automating this complex process rather than handling it manually, business process automation helps eliminate inaccuracies and increase efficiencies. That’s where workflow automation comes in.
Workflow automation is the automation of the completion of certain tasks. For example, logging data. Rather than expending manpower on manual data entry, workflow automation automates this task, making it easier and faster.
You need to have business processes in order to automate workflows. These terms are also often used interchangeably because they each offer many of the same benefits to businesses:
For the purposes of this article, we’re going to focus on workflow automation, because all organizations have business processes they are trying to streamline, and the automation of individual tasks can dramatically improve operations. We’d like to show you how.
Certinia Professional Services (PS) Cloud solution ranked top choice with G2, leverages the power of Salesforce CRM and the Salesforce Platform. Get an unparalleled view of your business across sales, service delivery, and finance. Keep projects on time, clients happy, and reports up to date—all on one integrated platform.
There is a correlation that can be drawn between the COVID-19 pandemic and a greater focus on workflow automation. For businesses that may not have relied as heavily on automated solutions due to consistent manpower and physical processes, the pandemic created an environment that required some automation to supplement in-person work.
A recent McKinsey & Company global survey of 800 senior executives found that two-thirds said they would be stepping up investment in automation solutions, including AI. The common denominator of these executives? They were all in charge of businesses requiring close physical proximity, such as warehouses and manufacturing plants.
In response to the pandemic, 40% of companies worldwide increased their use of automation software and a recent Wall Street Journal article suggests that it is necessary in order to survive in today’s economy.
Additionally, many businesses are looking to artificial intelligence (AI) for increased automation capabilities, although AI isn’t required to automate workflows. Rule-based logic software, like Professional Services Automation from Certinia, provides just as many benefits for making workflows more efficient and connecting your entire enterprise.
1. Greater Efficiency: We know that workflow automation automates repetitive tasks and reduces human touchpoints that can take up time and lead to errors or inaccuracies. Efficiencies are created when previously arduous tasks can be done more quickly – and done correctly the first time.
2. Increased Productivity: By removing human touchpoints on repetitive and time-consuming tasks, your employees are freed up to spend time on other tasks that can add value to the business and result in more work being completed on a daily basis.
3. Reduced Errors: Even the most skilled workers can make errors or fail to catch an inaccuracy in their work. When tasks that lend themselves to greater error, such as data entry or forecasting calculations, can be automated using rule-based logic software, accuracy is a given, which only adds value to your company’s performance and customer experience.
4. Elevated Experience: Customers will benefit from your workflow automation solution because you can automate everything from email responses to purchase history updates, ensuring that your customers feel heard and receive more personalized service with every engagement.
5. Improved Visibility: Workflow automation provides clarity around what tasks each member of your team must follow, which creates accountability in each area as well as accountability for the work. Your departments become more interconnected by sharing a workflow where everyone understands how their role impacts the larger picture.
6. Lowered Costs: By streamlining and automating tedious processes, your organization will likely see a decrease in costs previously associated with time spent in those areas. Whether it’s man-hours or resources, there are savings to be found in implementing an automated solution.
7. More Happiness: We can’t overlook this benefit. Employees who were buried in arduous, repetitive tasks like data entry day in and day out will be happier with an automated solution (at least, we think the majority will be). Giving your team the ability to spend their time on less tedious, more productive work will result in improved morale and overall job satisfaction.
If your business has tasks that take time away from productive work and result in greater error or a less ideal customer experience, workflow automation is a great option to help get your operations back on track.
Contact us today to schedule a demo and learn more about our Professional Services Automation solution, which runs on the Salesforce cloud platform, and see how it can streamline your operations and put your customers at the center of everything you do.